ARTICLE I – TITLE
Section 1. The Society shall be known as the Meigs County Agricultural Society.
ARTICLE II – OBJECT
Section 1. The object of the Society shall be to promote and encourage agriculture, industry, science, art and other interests of Meigs County, which the Board deems proper, and in the best interests of the County.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Any resident of Meigs County may become a member of this Society by paying annually the membership fees fixed by the Board of Directors. Membership tickets can be purchased only at the Office of the Secretary of the Society or his/her authorized agents.
Section 2. No person shall pay for or secure more than one such membership and that membership shall be for him. No membership shall be issued to corporations, organizations, partnerships or firms.
ARTICLE IV – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. The Board of Directors shall increase from fifteen (15) to eighteen (18) directors by the addition one new director each year for the next three years, beginning with election of 2007 for term beginning December 1, 2007.
Section 2. Any vacancy caused by death, resignation, removal from office, or other causes, may be filled by the Board of Directors until the next annual election, when a director shall be elected for the unexpired term.
Section 3. If any member of the Board of Directors misses four meetings in a fiscal year, the Board may upon two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors, declare his/her position vacant and appoint a successor to serve until the next annual election, when a director shall be elected for the unexpired term.
ARTICLE V – ELECTION
Section 1. The annual election of the Board of Directors shall be held at a designated place on or before the first Saturday in December of each year. Meigs County’s election will be held the first Monday in November each year. Polls must be open not less than four hours between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on the day of the election.
Section 2. The said election shall be by ballot. Ballots must be marked with an “X” opposite the name of each candidate voted for: otherwise the name will not be counted. The casting of votes for directors by proxies is not to be permitted.
Section 3. Only residents of Meigs County holding membership certificates for at least 15 days before the date of elections may vote.
Section 4. Members of the Society must declare their candidacy for the office of Director of the Society by filing with the Secretary of the Society, a petition signed by ten (10) or more members of the Society who are residents of Meigs County, at least seven (7) days before the annual election of Directors is held. Only regularly nominated candidates who have met the filing requirements will be eligible for election as Director.
Section 5: The term of office of the retiring Directors shall expire and that of the Directors elect shall begin on the 2nd Saturday of December of each year, or until their successors are elected and qualified.
ARTICLE VI – ANNUAL MEETING OF THE MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. The annual meeting of the Meigs County Agricultural Society shall be held not later than the last Saturday in December, the actual time and place to be decided and advertised by the Board of Directors.
Section 2. At this meeting the Officers and Directors of the Society shall make reports to the membership of the Society concerning the past fair and make recommendations for the betterment of future Fairs. The members shall be given opportunity to make suggestions and recommendations for the improvement of the Society and it’s fair. Such other business may be presented as may be deemed proper by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VII – ORGANIZATION AND MEETINGS
Section 1. The Board of Directors shall meet annually in December of each year and elect a President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. The President, Vice President and the Treasurer shall serve one year and the Secretary not more than three years or as the Board may determine and until their successors are elected and qualified.
Section 2. The President, Vice President and Treasurer shall be Directors. The Secretary may or may not be a director. All officers shall be members of the Society.
Section 3. Before election of officers the newly elected directors shall qualify by taking the following oath (or affirmation) before a competent authority (designated by law).
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution of Ohio, Laws of Ohio and rules and regulations of the Department of Agriculture of Ohio pertaining to Agricultural Society so help me God.”
ARTICLE VIII – AMENDMENTS
Section 1. Amendments to the constitution or by-laws may be proposed by.
(A) Majority of Board of Directors at a scheduled meeting, voting in favor or placing an amendment on the ballot; or
(B) Filing a petition with the Secretary of the Society at least 14 days prior to the annual election of the Board of Directors. Said petition must set forth the proposed amendment and be signed by not less than 25 members.
Section 2. If an amendment is proposed, it shall be submitted to the membership of the Society at the annual election of the Board of Directors.
Section 3. When more than one amendment, shall be submitted at the same time, they shall be so submitted as to enable the members to vote on each amendment, separately.
Section 4. If the majority of the membership voting on the proposed amendment shall adopt such amendment, it shall become a part of the constitution or by-laws.
ARTICLE IX – COMPENSATION
Section 1. The compensation of board members shall be fixed by the board in accordance with the rules of the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
Section 2. Travel expenses shall be 54 cents per mile to out of county meetings as authorized by the O.D.A.
ARTICLE X – BONDS
Section 1. The Secretary shall post a surety bond in the amount of $1000.00, payable to the Society, conditioned upon the faithful performance of his/her office.
Section 2. The Treasurer shall post a surety bond in the amount of $1000.00, payable to the Society, conditioned upon the faithful performance of the duties of his/her office.
ARTICLE XI – FAIR DATES
Section 1. The Board of Directors shall fix the date for the annual Exposition of the Society, subject to the approval of the Ohio Director of Agriculture.
For complete rules of regulations please refer to the “Red Book”.
The Meigs County Agricultural Society reserves the right, the final and absolute right, tointerpret these rules and regulations, to settle and determine all matters and questions. It further reserves the right to determine unforeseen matters not covered by these rules and to withdraw all premium offerings and/or expel and/or ban individuals from the property in all departments should an emergency exist and circumstances demand it. The Meigs County Agricultural Society will have the final say.
1. Absolutely NO REFUNDS.
2. All open class entries will be taken on Friday & Saturday, August 5 & 6 2022, 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. These rules will be strictly adhered to. Secretary will be at the Fair Board Office at Fairgrounds from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 P.M. August 5 & 6, 2022.
3. Exhibitors must determine for themselves in what class or classes they will make entry. The exhibitor will fill out entry blanks.
4. See individual departments for closing time that exhibits must be in place. Still exhibits must remain in place until 1:00 p.m. Sunday, August 21, 2022. Superintendents will be at their respective departments for removal of exhibits on Sunday from 1:00-3:00 p.m. Commercial exhibits must remain in place until close of Fair. Any exhibit removed before that time will forfeit any premium awarded to them.
5. False statements regarding entries or interference with the judges shall be sufficient grounds for exclusion from competition and forfeiture of any prizes awarded.
6. The society will take precaution for the safety of all persons and property and the preservation of exhibits, but will not be responsible for accidents, loss, or damage, should any occur.
7. All premiums will be ready for pick during the fair and will be announced when available or you can pick them up on Sunday after the fair from 1:00pm – 3:00 pm at the Secretary’s Office on the fairgrounds. All premiums not claimed before November 1st will be forfeited. This is to permit Fair Officials to complete records for the year and have them submitted to the State Department of Agriculture before December 1st.
8. All claims of errors in awards must be made in writing to the Secretary within five days after the payment of the same has been made.
9. All exhibits must be the property of the exhibitor for at least 30 days prior to the opening date of the fair. In departments where registration/ownership papers are required, they must be presented upon request.
10. All exhibits will be judged by competent disinterested judges secured by the Fair board. Judges’ decision will be final. Exhibits not deemed worthy will not be given prizes.
11. All exhibitors must purchase season tickets or membership ticket and that ticket number must be present on the entry form. You cannot enter with a one-day performance pass, complimentary pass, exhibitor pass, OFMA fair passes or any other type of pass.
12. All decisions made by the Judge, Superintendent of the department and/or Senior Fair Board will be final.
13. No straw and/or bedding are furnished or available.
14. All concessions, games, outside space, inside space, Senior fair exhibits and Junior Fair Exhibits must not leave until Fair is closed on Saturday night unless individual rules state differently.
15. NO firearms, handguns, drugs, laser pointers, ATVs, UTVs, golf carts or any other type of recreational vehicles, no livestock trailers may be left on the grounds at any time. Alcoholic beverages are not to be brought in to the grounds. Alcohol purchased at the fair must be consumed in the designated areas only.
16. All deliveries MUST be made prior to 11:00 a.m. and must be made only through designated delivery gate. NO other vehicles permitted on midway without prior approval of Board of Directors, this includes judging days.
17. No person shall be permitted to make solicitations of any nature on the Meigs County Fairgrounds except in contracted concession or commercial rented space. No person will be permitted to post or display signs, distribute handbills or advertising material or sell or distribute free any merchandise except persons under contract.
18. Membership tickets for admission & voting privilege are $20.00. Membership tickets may be purchased from any Fair board member and are on sale at The OSU EXTENSION – MEIGS COUNTY OFFICE, 113 E. Memorial Drive, Suite E, Pomeroy, Ohio. Membership tickets can also be purchased at the Secretary’s Office on grounds after paying admission at the gate. MEMBERSHIP TICKETS ARE SOLD ONLY TO INDIVIDUALS, MEIGS COUNTY RESIDENTS ONLY, NOT AVAILABLE TO A COMPANY OR ORGANIZATION.
19. The owners of all delivery vehicles entering grounds will be required to purchase a season ticket admitting drivers and vehicle. (Only one driver to a vehicle) ALL DELIVERIES must be made prior to 11:00 a.m. and trucks may enter only at designated delivery gate (Dog Pound Gate).
20. Now accepting debit and credit cards at the Secretary’s Office on the Fairgrounds. (There is a 3% service charge on each transaction)
21. For a complete copy of the “Redbook” Laws and Rules of County and Independent Agricultural Societies go to: http://www.agri.ohio.gov/divs/fairs/fairs.aspx and click Redbook.
22. Financial reports can be viewed by making an appointment with the secretary by calling 740-985-4372.
23. No dogs allowed on fairgrounds. Service animals are permitted, but must have proper identification. Pet Show entries are permitted on day of show, however, they must be on a leash or in a cage. Once the pet show is concluded, pets must leave the fairgrounds.
24. The annual election of Directors of the Agricultural Society is held the first Monday of November at the fairgrounds. The polls are open from 5:00 pm to 9:00 p.m. Anyone holding a membership ticket can vote and or run for Director of the Meigs County Agricultural Society.
25. There will be no paging services provided. Please make arrangements to meet children prior to pick and meeting them on the grounds.
26. Fairboard reserves the right to expel and/or ban individuals is deemed to be improper and contradictory to rules and regulations.
27. All animals must be on grounds by times specified by each department. Animals may only be removed per livestock rules.
28. Members of senior fair board will make stall assignments for all livestock. Stall assignments will be made by noon Saturday prior to fair.
29. All livestock must be checked by fair veterinarian at fair grounds BEFORE unloading. NO EXCEPTIONS.
30. When entry fees are paid by check the Fairboard shall have the right to withhold payment of premiums until the exhibitor’s check is honored by the exhibitor’s bank. If check is not valid, entry fee will be considered unpaid and all premiums will be declared forfeited to the Fairboard.
ARTICLE I – QUORUM
Section 1. A majority of the members of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business of the Society.
ARTICLE II – MEETING
Section 1. The regular monthly meeting of the Board of Directors shall be held at a time and place decided by the majority of the Board Members. Meetings are held the first Monday of each month.
Section 2. Special meetings may be held whenever necessary at the call of the President or at the call of the Secretary upon the written request of the Secretary by a majority of the members of the board.
Section 3. Written notice of regular and special meetings of the Board of Directors shall be sent to each director by mail, at least two days before the meeting. The notice shall specify the purpose of special meetings.
ARTICLE III – ORDER OF BUSINESS
Section 2. The order of business may be temporarily suspended at any meeting upon a majority vote of a quorum present.
ARTICLE IV – DUTIES OF OFFICERS
Section 1. It shall be the duty of the President to preside at all meetings of the Board, to appoint committees, countersign all orders for the disbursements of funds, and to perform such other duties as are determined by the Board.
Section 2. It shall be the duty of the Vice President to assume all the duties of the President in the event of his absence or vacancy of office and to perform such other duties as are determined by the Board.
Section 3. It shall be the duty of the Secretary of the Society to:
(1) Keep a list of the Society.
(2) Keep accurately a record of all proceedings of the Society and the Board.
(3) Notify all members of the Board of the time and place of all meetings.
(4) Give the members of the Society notice of the time and place of the Annual Election of the Board of Directors and the Annual Meeting of the Membership.
(5) Keep strict account of all moneys that may come into his/her hands and pay the same over to the Treasurer and take his/her receipt therefore.
(6) Keep a correct itemized account of all receipts and expenditures of money.
(7) Prepare the annual report to the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
(8) Perform such other duties as are determined by the Board.
Section 4. It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to:
(1) Sign all checks.
(2) Perform such other duties as are determined by the Board.
Section 5. The President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer shall constitute the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE V – RULES
Section 1. The Board of Directors may enact such Rules and Regulations for conducting business of the Society, which does not conflict with the Constitution or by-laws, Regulations of the State of Ohio Department of Agriculture, or laws of the State of Ohio.
ARTICLE VI – APPROPRIATE CONDUCT